January 30, 2010

ART: New MOTU Additions to the Collection

The Feud Begins by Fred Harper

Just put some money down on a few pieces from the "I Have the Power" show at Gallery 1988 SF.  They consistently have some of the coolest shows around for West coast pop, low-brow + comics-inspired work and I couldn't resist so much cool art inspired by toys that "figured" (groan) so large in my childhood.  I played with the Masters of the Universe toys a LOT when I was less than 10 (I guess?), before I moved on to GI Joes.  It was probably with He-Man and the MOTU that I began my abiding fondness for the bad guys in any game or toy lineup (the villains were always so much cooler than the bland good guys; CapCom Darkstalkers, helloooo?).


They've put aside one of these great Schwarzenegger as HeMan movie prints by Tom Whalen (above), but the showstoppers for me are the small drawings by Andrew Wilson whose work is just beautiful.  It was hard to pick just one, but I settled on the titular hero seen below.


I've never heard of Wilson before, but I'll keep an eye out for more of his gorgeous stuff.  You can see more work at his weblog, andrewanddavid.blogspot.com.  I've got a birthday coming up soon; wonder if I can treat myself to at least one more...

~benc

No comments:

Post a Comment